How to care for your treasure
So how do you protect your plated jewelry?
Here are just a few tips:
- Remove your jewelry before you swim in chlorine or salt water.
- Remove your jewelry before participating in activities that will cause you to sweat a lot.
- Wait to put on your jewelry until after you have applied lotion, makeup or perfume.
- Remove jewelry if you will be bringing it into contact with something hard. (For example, take off your ring before lifting weights.)
- Store your plated jewelry where it won’t rub against other hard substances (a soft bag—one per piece of jewelry—is ideal).
Wipe your gold plated jewelry after each use, using a soft cloth to remove any dirt or debris. You may also soak it for a few minutes in warm, soapy water and dry it with a soft cloth as needed (or a soft toothbrush to clean small cracks and crevices).